Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Well here it is 2009. Yesterday I closed the door at my place pf employment for the last time. I knew it was coming since April. It was still kind of a shock. The four of us that were left came in at 8 or so, did some more cleaning and by 2 everyone but me was gone. I took one last stroll through the place, checking all the  doors were locked but to really have one last look. 
The head of the Mass. site was there on Monday, but he only stayed for a few hours. He shook our hands and thanked us for all our hard work. And work hard we did. The four of us that were left, busted our asses. We loaded trailer after trailer. We loaded several flatbed trailers outside in the rain and bitter cold because the company could save a few bucks by having us do it rather than having the company that took our racking down do it. One day was driving rain, two days later the temperature was below freezing. 
We packed all the computer equipment from the office, all the furniture, filled dumpster after dumpster and finally yesterday we finished. I ran the 'Zamboni' floor cleaner a few times over our empty warehouse and then I turned out the lights. 
It was sad because of my familiarity with the place, all the cool people I had worked with, the routine...I'm hoping we, like the office staff, will get decent severance and a 'stay-on' bonus. But I'm not holding my breath. One of the great downfalls of this site was the office staff was treated so much better than the warehouse/workroom staff. We didn't even get to see our H.R. guy. Instead we will be getting our info by FedEx.
But now the New Year will bring me some change. Hopefully in the form of a new job. Hopefully better health for Mags. Maybe the future will be so bright I gotta wear shades...

No comments: