Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's Been How Long??

Okay Ive got alot to squeeze in here so read fast.
Since I've written last the following has occured.
*My Father in law has had surgery for a nagging intestinal problem. They removed some of his plumbing and sewed him back up. While in there they took a 'nasty' looking growth off his liver. It is, sadly, cancerous. He has had a hell of a time finding a doctor to take care of him. He has Medicade and he has insurance from his days serving in the Navy. Well, they just dont help out like they say they do. One of the greatest problems this country faces. Our elderly getting the medical help they need. Really fucking nice. The man served his country in the armed forces people....
*On a warm spring day, the BigGuy from our Boston site was in town. We knew something was up because my department was completely dead for weeks. The head of our site pulled me and one of my coworkers into the conference room. Once in there, the BigGuy told us they were shutting down our department. Immediately. I was stunned, but not shocked. They told us 'mums the word'. They then took the other 4 employees, and our Super, into the conference room and told them effective immediately, they had no job.
So feeling safe but shaken, I returned to the floor. At 11am, an hour and a half after getting the news about our department, we had a company wide meeting. When a meeting starts with someone saying "there's no easy way to say this.." it will not be a fun affair. We are then told the unit will be closing this year. Alot of people are shocked. We aren't sure when , but by December.
Because I am an awesome employee, the head of our site comes to me one day about a month after the news and says "Hey. what are the chances you can get to Boston for a few days next week?"
"For what?" says Me.
"To set up one of our hi-speed ink-jet printers."
So after conferring with Mags I decide I will indeed go to Mass. They are going to put me on a train but I ask the head of our site, who is a great guy, if the Company would rent me a car instead, so I can stop in RI to see my family. He graciously agrees. So soon I'll get to see the site in Mass.

No comments: